Picture a beautifully maintained classic sports car. Now picture in your mind the same car as a useless vehicle due to negligence of simple auto care, let's say because the owner ignored to check fluid levels and did not add oil to the engine. Not following some basic car care tips can equal the end of the engine for an automobile and the end of the story for a vehicle. What would have been a relatively low cost expenditure has become a major expense that may exceed the value of the vehicle.
The automobile owner who is not well versed towards essential car care can refer to their owner's manual to find the best maintenance plan for their specific vehicle, but there are general car care tips that apply to all vehicles. If you do not care for your vehicle it will fail to operate properly or worse, as in our classic sports car story above.
These tips are for those who care about maintaining a safe and smooth running car:
1. Check oil levels and the oil filter at least every 3,000 miles.
2. Your auto has various other fluid levels that need to be check on a regular basis. Again, at least every 3,000 miles, the fluid levels for the brakes, power steering, transmission, radiator coolant and windshield wiper fluids should be included.
3. A regular check on all hoses and belts should be done and replaced as they are showing cracks or are frayed.
4. Brake maintenance is often neglected without realizing it. Not all brakes make loud noises when they are in need of maintenance. About every six months, the brake system should be checked.
5. Testing of the car battery should be done three years from purchase for a new car, and every three years for older vehicles. Battery condition and connections should be checked to make sure there is no excess corrosion and the battery is secure.
6. Inspect the exhaust system for leaks. If there are leaks, repairs are needed as they can be deadly to those in the car.
7. For a properly running engine, auto tune-ups are essential.
8. The car's heating and air conditioning should be checked yearly for proper functionality.
9. Check and replace lights and washer blades as they burn out or wear out.
10. Check tie rods, struts, and ball joints at least twice a year.
11. Maintain proper air level in tires and apply new tires as needed or when tread becomes no less than 2/32 of an inch (for normal driving conditions, or 4/32 of an inch if you are concerned about wet roads).
12. Rotate tires about every 5,000 miles.
To assure car performance and safety, everyone should follow these basic car care tips. To find auto maintenance tips that are specific to your car, remember to refer to your automobile's manual.
There are currently no comments on this post. Be the first one!